Dynamic Cake Stands

I love seeing some fellow craft bloggers, and the cake stands they make from dollar store items.  I thought I would make my own, but of course, since Canadian Dollar Stores totally rock, I found REALLY cool items to make cake stands from.  First, they have these great glass candle holders which are very modern and funky.  Then I found tart pans that I could spray paint.

However, as usual, I bought a tonne of other things at the Dollarama, and as I unpacked my bags (I happened to buy some instant tac as well), a great idea hit me which solved a major problem with cake stands.  Instead of glueing the components together, use instant tac stuff to bond it together temporarily so it can be taken off and disassembled for EASY STORAGE!!!

I just put the strips of this stuff around the edge of the candle holder, and stuck it to any serving plate I had, and it sticks really well.  Since this stuff is completely removeable, I could now use any candleholder, or serving tray that I had around the house, and it would not be ruined with glue.

I have a great selection of mercury glass, and milk glass.  Vases, compotes and other bowls are perfect for this.  You can arrange your serving table with so many heights and functions this way.  The really tall candle holders will bring lots of visual height to your tablescape.

These would be great at a Halloween party!

NOTES ON PAINTING METAL PANS: The tart trays had a good non stick coating on them.  I used a very gritty sandpaper to sand the shine off the non stick coating, and make sure you get into all the crevices of every wave.  The paint has to be able to get a bite onto the metal.  I then painted a coat of spray paint PRIMER on both top and underside. Let this fully dry.  I then spray painted 2 coats of an apple green spray paint on them.  Before the paint was fully cured, I tested to see if stuck properly, and I did scrape through the paint easily.  However after 24 hours of proper drying/curing, it is better and I can’t scratch the paint off easily anymore.

Here are more combinations I put together.  The instant tac works so well, and I love being able to take these apart and put the trays in the dishwasher.  I can store them disassembled compactly in my kitchen cupboards, AND rearrange the components for whatever type of food I am serving.

Play around with the arrangement.  Put the trays upside down, make a double stack, put the foot parts upside down and see how it looks.  One good one is to put a small footed compote on the top to put chip or veggie dip in, and fill the tray part with the chips or veggies.

Partying At: Just A Girl Blog | Chic On A Shoestring Decorating | The Shabby Creek Cottage | Lovely Crafty Home | Michelle Lunt | Yesterday On Tuesday | House Of Hepworths | PolkaDots On Parade | Somewhat Simple | Mommas Kinda Crafty | Someday Crafts | Katie’s Nesting Spot | The Girl Creative | Craft-O-Maniac | Polly Want A Crafter | Running With Glitter | Making the World Cuter | PinkaPotamus | Sumo’s Sweet Stuff |

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in Cake Decorating, Halloween, Home Projects, Tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Dynamic Cake Stands

1. Kim says:

Brilliant! I love that they’re temporary and mix and match! It does present a lot more fun possibilites. Thanks!

2. Dee says:

Love all of the possiblities and the one upside down. So cute and perfect for parties.
    I am following you now.
    I will look around and see your other craft goodies!!!
    ladeedacreations.com
    if you are canadian blonde, does that make me American blonde or Texan blonde, haha

3. canadianblonde says:

Absolutely! Us Blondes have to be Proud of it!!! :-)

4. Renee says:

I love the green and the different varieties of ideas! This would be a great project to share at my Shabby Shares link party over at Rustic Crafts ~ http://rustic-crafts.com
    Renee

5. Haley Davis says:

Oh those are super stinkin’ cute!! Thanks for the tip!! I like the idea of mixing and matching. Love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing. :)

6. How darling & I love the “temporary” bonding solution. Thanks so much for sharing this at my Fab Friday linky party.

Warmly, Michelle

7. Shelly says:

How fun is this!?! I like the bit about being able to deconstruct for storage! Great, great, idea. :)

8. Oh this is a great idea, and you can paint them whatever color you want so great for parties….I will be definitely will be doing that for my next party…Great Job
    P.S: I have never heard about the instant tac, where did you buy it?thx

9. canadianblonde says:

I got the Instant Tac at the dollar store. However it is at every office supply store and Walmart and Target too. It is in the office supply section. It looks like plasticene, but has really good “sticky” qualities to it. It is made for sticking paper or posters to walls without putting holes in the walls.

10. anne says:

love this! i just found a tart pan at a thrift store today! wahoo!! hey do you have to use any special kind of paint since food will go on it? thanks!!

11. canadianblonde says:

Hmmm, that is a really good point which I did not think about. It probably isn’t food safe, I am not sure, but I bet you would cut out a circle of scrapbook patterned paper to line the bottom of the tray with it. My thoughts of food being served on these were cupcakes (which already have liners) or chips or nachos, but I guess veggies and cheese would need some type of liner since it would be directly touching the paint.

12. lesley says:

I love this and now wish I lived in Canada!
    I’ve made some stands before and everything I read said that if you put a clear coat on it, then it can be made food safe!
    Thanks, again, for sharing! Such stunning pieces~

13. Cheryl says:

You’re an absolute genius! I’ve seen the idea of using plates and candleholders but using the removable handi-tac is a fantastic idea!!! thank you for sharing!

14. Pingback: Thoughts « Red Rover

15. Pamela says:

Love the temporary idea.
    We have something called Prestick which I guess is pretty much the same thing. I have a plate I thought would look great as a cake stand but did not want to glue it permanantly. Now I have the solutions. Thanks

16. Pingback: Stuff I Love Saturday (5) | Capricious Reader

17. Cat G. says:

I made some cake stands a week ago and sprayed them with Krylon paint. I used the gray primer too. The thing is, I can still smell the paint. They have been out in the sun in hopes that the smell goes away. How long do you think it can be before I use them? I want people to smell my cakes and not the paint. :(

18. Jacqueline says:

Fantastic, your so clever! I can hardly wait to try this.

19. You could also use the instant tac to tac on crystal garland or snow flakes or whatever else for festive xmas cake plates! Love your ideas!

20. Ruth says:

Hi girls….I did a similar project from a picture I saw in a ad, but I used a battery operated pillar candle for the pillar. So cool.

21. Emma says:

Love love love dollarama! I make a note to go there everytime I go to Canada!

22. Pingback: Pinspiration Wednesday #5 | Outtakes on the Outskirts

23. I LOVE this idea! I love shopping at the Dollar Stores too. I am going to try this. Looks fun and simple too. This would be a good one for my daughter to help out with. I love how you did all the different combinations. Thanks for the great idea!!

Enjoy your night! Julie from Stlavonlady – Scatterbrained In St. Louis

24. Pingback: 5 Easy DIY Home Décor Ideas | BargainMoose Canada

25. Pingback: 5 Easy DIY Home Décor Ideas

26. Pingback: 9 DIY treat stands | thelifeoflulubelle

27. Tania says:

I am currently wanting to make a few of these and strongly considered glueing them till I saw your blog. My concern is… would the temp tac stuff be strong enough for slightly larger plates and pans that have food on them?

28. canadianblonde says:

I recently had to move and pack the cake stands. It was almost impossible to separate them! I pulled and pulled, and nearly broke the plate. They finally came apart when I picked at it slowly. Use fresh tack putty and make sure it is clean surfaces, I am sure there won’t be a problem with larger plates.

29. Pingback: Friday Special: Cake or Death | Wretched Refuse