In one of my previous posts, I had shown a fabric rag basket that I had seen on the net, and wanted to make. I have gotten around to it. I will share with you my woes of my first try at this.
The instructions I found on the net say to use a 1/4″ cotton clothesline rope, wrap it with fabric, and then put in in your sewing machine and sew it around with a zigzag stitch. So I started with 1/4″ cording and started to wrap that with 3/4″ strips of fabric (of which I used 24 total strips). However, I would still be sitting there wrapping that rope had I kept on with that method. The 1/4″ rope is just too small and tedious, and didn’t have a lot of body to hold a firm bowl shape, and the scale of the fabric would be lost with all the stitching. I would maybe try a small bowl with that, but I wanted a bigger bowl. So I unwrapped it all, and started again with a 3/8″ diameter rope that I purchased at the hardware store. However, the 3/8″ rope does not fit underneath my presser foot to zig zag it. I thought I would have to resort to (GASP!!!) h a n d s t i t c h i ng!!!! Yuk. I hate handstitching even an INCH of seam. Let alone a whole bowl, but I started to do it. It looked like crap. It was so loose that the bowl was flopping all over the place. I then started using straight pins to keep it together while I stitched. The pins make the bowl incredibly firm, and stayed exactly where I wanted it to. I fact, I stopped stitching at one point, and just left the pins in every 4″ or so completing the whole bowl to see if I sould get away with just pins! It did look great, but the top handles kept coming undone. So I unravelled the coils, and went back with a gluegun, and glued the thing together along with the pins to hold it tight until the glue dried. Then I pulled the pins out. It looks ok, but I am going to have to do more experimenting with these methods to finetune it. Stay tuned!